Wednesday 12 December 2012

Who is Jan Faust?

 
I first become aware of Jan Faust's work several years ago when I obtained an inexpensive copy of his 1971 book "The Underground Sketchbook of Jan Faust" its a collection of 101 surreal single-panel drawings (rather than gag cartoons), but the quality and strangeness of the artwork make it memorable and unique.
  
What seemed strange to me, is that no other books were forthcoming, despite the strength of the material. Presumably sales were poor, or some other misfortune struck the artist? I'm not convinced that Faust can be regarded as a  true "underground" artist as the book title suggests, as all his illustrations that I've seen are found in mainstream/academic publications. Perhaps this title was more of a marketing ploy? 
  
I've subsequently read reviews comparing his work with that of Robert Crumb, which should be high-praise, but instead, it accused Faust of being derivative. Sometimes you just can't win! For what-its-worth I think his drawing style is more similar to Breugel.
  
Then recently I came across a posting on the blog "The Tarpeian Rock", which posted some nice scans from the sketchbook and poses similar questions...just who is Jan Faust, and what become of him? More questions...

The blog posting also contains many representative pages from the Underground Sketchbook. So I won't bother to repost them again. Check them out here :


Recently I decided to contact Patrick Rosenkrantz, the underground comix historian, in the hope that he might offer some light on the subject. (Check-out his excellent book "Rebel Visions"; its superb). Patrick kindly replied; he was aware of J. Faust's work and suggested that the name may be a pseudonym and recommended pursuing some independent research.
  
This posting is the result of that research. 
   
I found a chance reference to Faust in an academic periodicals catalogue, that when located provided some biographic details. This led me to find a further comic strips and illustrations in Village Voice.
Separately, I also found found several book-cover illustrations and some full-page illustrations in Evergreen Review and a cover for Oz magazine.

However, I don't have any information on Faust after 1975. If anyone knows what happened next, please leave a message or get in touch.

Here is an (incomplete) list of publications known to contain examples of his work, together with some scans: 
  • Nation
  • New York Magazine
  • National Review
  • The New York Times
  • The Village Voice - comic strip "Metamorphosis"
  • Evergreen Review 
From "Design & Environment" Winter 1971

From "Design & Environment" Winter 1971


From "Design & Environment" Winter 1971

Cover from "Design & Environment" Spring 1975


From "Design & Environment" Spring 1975

From "Design & Environment" Spring 1975
Page 4, "Design & Environment" Spring 1975

Cover from Oz 47, April 1973

The Village Voice - Jan 6, 1975

The Village Voice - Jan 27, 1975

The Village Voice - Jun 30, 1975

The Village Voice - Sep 1, 1975


Handbill for Concert, 1970?


New York Magazine - 27 Aug 1973 - Page 32

Evergreen Review 84, Nov 1970


Evergreen Review 85, Dec 1970

  
 
New York Magazine - 8 Jul 1974 - Page 57


5 comments:

  1. Found him as of 1990

    http://articles.mcall.com/1990-11-11/entertainment/2771607_1_faust-new-arts-program-german-expressionists

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan was one of my instructors in my senior year at the School of Visual Arts in 1984. He was a really nice guy and good instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He taught at Parsons, too. One of my favorite teachers. I don't know what he's doing now though (graduated in 1992)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was in a small group of friends in college with him at Kutztown State now University. 1965 or so...I have not pursued finding him as an alumni, but that might be an avenue for you. If you find him please advise to doce632azalea@gmail.com. He was a great guy very talented ...enjoyable company. Stephanie aka Stevie Evans The pix you posted clarify that he is the Jan I knew, plus I had know that he did some cartoons for the NEW YORKER. Thanks for your investigative work, have often wondered what happened to him. PS this is my first posting ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a peice of art.. can anyone tell me what it is.. signed by jan faust.in.hesporian wood. Cant add pictur .

    ReplyDelete